It’s that time of the year again – winter’s rolling in, and our beloved city is gearing up for a season filled with adventure, culture, and pizzazz. Whether you’re a local or planning a visit, we’ve got the top 10 winter activities that’ll keep your heart warm and spirits high. Bundle up, grab a hot cocoa, and come explore the wonderland that is Santa Fe, NM.
- Hit the Slopes at Ski Santa Fe or Taos Ski Valley: Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a first-time skier, you’ll find a winter paradise at Ski Santa Fe and Taos Ski Valley. With trails for all levels and breathtaking views, you’ll be carving through powder in no time. Don’t forget to stop by Totemoff’s for some après-ski fun–you’ll likely see one of us there.
- Soak in Local Hot Springs: Need a break from the chill? Dive into one of Santa Fe’s famed hot springs. Ojo Caliente is a local favorite, where you can melt away stress while surrounded by stunning natural scenery. Pure bliss! But there are others worth considering like Ten Thousand Waves (especially after a day on the slopes) and Jemez Springs.
- Hike Bandelier or Nambe Badlands: Winter hiking is a true spectacle in Santa Fe area, with trails that’ll take you through snowy landscapes and native history. Exploring Bandelier National Monument’s canyons and ruins or the surreal Nambe Badlands will leave you awe-struck. Just remember your hiking boots and beanie!
- Indulge in the Museums: Culture vultures, this one’s for you! From the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum to the Museum of International Folk Art, Santa Fe’s rich history and diverse art scene will fill your soul. A perfect way to spend a frosty afternoon, especially on a snowy afternoon.
- Attend Native Feast Days: Experience the vibrant Native American culture through the colorful feast days celebrated throughout the winter. Traditional dances, delicious foods, and a sense of community will make you feel like part of the family. Please be respectful and enjoy an opportunity to not only see, but learn a local tradition in its purest form.
- Attend the Plaza Lighting Ceremony: Kick off the holiday season at Santa Fe’s Plaza Lighting Ceremony. With twinkling lights, carolers, and a sprinkle of holiday magic, it’s a festive affair that’ll warm the coldest of nights.
- Learn a New Skill, Maybe Cooking?: Ever fancied yourself a culinary master? Why not take a cooking class to spice up your winter? From New Mexican to global cuisines, you’ll find classes that’ll satisfy your taste buds and creativity. Santa Fe School of Cooking and Las Cosas are highly recommended.
- Snowshoe or XC Ski the Valles Caldera: The Valles Caldera, an ancient super volcano located in the heart of the Jemez Mountains, is a winter wonderland. The National Parks allows for winter visitors to strap on snowshoes or cross country skis for winter travel and exploration.
- Explore the Santa Fe Opera: Winter doesn’t slow down the Opera in Santa Fe! With an array of performances and behind-the-scenes tours, it’s an experience that’ll sweep you off your feet. Bravo!
- Get Cozy with Local Shopping: Santa Fe’s unique boutiques and markets offer a shopping experience like no other. Find that perfect holiday gift or treat yourself to some local treasures. We highly recommend our neighbor, Casa Nova for some eclectic home decorations, our friends at Doodlets for their goofy gifts, FS2 with their NM merch, and Goler Fine Imported Shoes for something truly special.
There you have it, folks – a winter wonderland awaits you in Santa Fe! From outdoor thrills to cultural chills, our city is ready to roll out the snowy carpet and welcome you with open arms.
So grab your mittens and come see what all the fuss is about. We at Barker Realty can’t wait to see you around town, enjoying all that makes Santa Fe so special during the winter months. ¡Hasta pronto!